Here is a list of top signs of a diseased tree and how to solve the problem
Trees are susceptible to diseases just like any other living organism. However, the signs of diseases in trees are hard to detect when you are not familiar with the basics of tree health. To the regular person, it may look like your tree is going through some changes, but this can be very dangerous.
Although there are ways to tackle tree diseases at home, a professional opinion is always recommended. You need to know the signs of tree disease so you can get your tree help in time and save it from any permanent damage.
What Are Tree Diseases?
- Tree diseases are conditions that affect the tree, its longevity, and reproductive abilities. These can be caused by a lack of nutrients as well as by pests and bacteria. They are commonly prevalent in springtime and winters are the period when most pests lay their eggs. Knowing the timing to check your tree for diseases is also a very important aspect of tree care.
What Are Some Of The Most Common Tree Diseases
Some of the most common tree diseases are:
- Leaf Spots
- Powdery Mildew
- Tar Spots
- Leaf Blisters
- Canker Diseases
- Apple Scabs
Signs Of A Diseased Tree
- Although a professional is better at diagnosing tree diseases, you can learn to be on the lookout for certain signs as well. Some of the most common signs of a diseased tree are:
The Tree Bark Is Changing
- The bark of a tree tells many things about its health. If you notice fungus growing on the tree, or small lumps on the bark then the tree is catching a disease. Similarly, you should be on the lookout for white or black spots on the bark. For subtle signs such as peeling or chipping bark, you can ask a professional for a second opinion.
The Foilage Is Reducing
- Healthy trees are almost always green and full of leaves. The foliage of your tree gradually reduces towards autumn and sometimes sheds completely in winter. However, a significant reduction in foliage during spring or summer is a clear indicator of a diseased tree.
The Trunk Is Cracking
- A healthy tree’s trunk is strong and does not easily crack. Cracking of the trunk could indicate a nutrient deficiency or the onset of a disease. Harmless cracks are often only on the surface and do not run deep. If the cracks on your tree’s trunk run deeper than the bark, then your tree may be compromised.
Leaves Are Starting to Discolor
- A tree’s leaves tend to change color only in autumn as they prepare to fall. If your tree’s leaves are changing color in any other season then it could indicate an underlying issue. If you have an evergreen tree, leaves turning brown, red, or yellow could be signs that the tree is dying and needs immediate help.
You Can See Pests
- Sometimes you can see a fine powder on the bark of your trees, or the presence of pests as they have eaten the leaves or bark. This is the most obvious indicator that your tree is suffering from some sort of parasitic disease or has a pest infestation. At this stage, it is important to have a professional look into the matter.
At American Tree Experts, Inc. we offer the best services to keep your trees out of harm’s way. Our pest management services make sure that your trees are protected against pests and diseases. Our most sought out services are pruning, bracing, pest management, and nutritional management. We offer services in Montclair, New Jersey. Call us at 973-744-6091 for a free quote.