How does fertilization enhance the health of trees? Understanding the science behind nutrient supplementation
A tree fertilizing program is crucial for maintaining the growth and health of your trees. Fertilizers provide the main macronutrients required for tree growth and metabolic functions. Additionally, well-nourished trees are more resilient to stress, diseases, and pest attacks. Keep reading to understand the significance of fertilization for your trees.
An Overview Of Tree Fertilization
- Fertilizer includes natural or chemical substances added to soil to enhance its health and nutrient content. Typically, chemical-based fertilizers contain a blend of nitrogen (N), phosphorous (P), and potassium (K). The specific quantities required for a tree depend on the existing levels of each element in the soil. It is advisable to have a tree care professional assess the soil quality around a tree to determine the appropriate balance of N-P-K needed in the complete fertilizer.
The frequency of fertilization varies based on the age of the tree. Since young saplings are sensitive in their early stages, they require small applications of quick-release fertilizer. Developing trees can handle regular fertilizers and should be fertilized twice a year, ideally during the growing season. Mature trees have complex root systems that span a wide area, allowing them to absorb nutrients and water from a broader range of soil. Therefore, mature trees don’t require as many added nutrients as younger trees, so an annual fertilization is sufficient.
Benefits Of Tree Fertilization
Here are the top benefits of tree fertilization.
Encourages Tree Growth
- Regular tree fertilization is crucial for fostering healthy growth. In the early stages, fertilization provides essential nutrients for a young tree, supporting the growth of a robust root system and facilitating rapid upward and outward growth. As the tree matures, consistent nourishment becomes necessary for sustenance and growth.
Protects Against Diseases
- Tree fertilization provides an added layer of protection against diseases. Consider fertilizer as the equivalent of food for trees. Just as a well-balanced diet rich in vegetables, fruits, and lean meats supports human health and immune function, providing the right fertilizers to trees ensures they receive the necessary nutrition to stay healthy and resilient against potential diseases.
Facilitates Healing Of Injured Trees
- Another reason for prioritizing tree fertilization is its role in recovering injured or damaged trees. Trees can face various threats, including insect damage, pruning-related harm, or injury from strong winds. When a tree experiences such damage, providing the right nutrients through fertilization becomes essential for prompt and effective healing.
Fertilization Methods for Trees
- Determining the most suitable fertilization method for your trees involves consulting a tree care specialist. Here are three primary fertilization approaches:
- Compost consists of decayed plant matter and mimics the natural fertilizer found in forests. This organic material provides essential nutrients for a tree’s healthy growth. While compost takes longer to absorb as it relies on soil microorganisms for processing, it is an environmentally friendly and beneficial fertilization method. To apply compost, spread it around the base of the trunk and generously sprinkle it over the surrounding root areas.
- Organic fertilizers are derived from plant and animal-based materials and exclude composted substances. Although more expensive than inorganic alternatives, organic fertilizers are environmentally friendly and pose minimal harm to trees.
- Commonly chosen for its cost-effectiveness, inorganic fertilizer is absorbed quickly compared to organic options. Although less environmentally friendly, it is popular for providing trees with essential nutrients. Inorganic fertilizers offer a quick nutrient release, supporting the tree’s growth and health.
Enlist the services of a skilled arborist to ensure optimal results from tree fertilization. American Tree Experts Inc. provides the best tree nutrient management services, employing highly qualified arborists and experts. Call us today at (973) 774-6091 and let our experts handle all your tree pruning and nutrient management needs.