Here are 5 significant signs of why garden trees are a safety hazard – protect your family
Having greenery around you and your home is something everyone wants. Trees clean out air, calm the nerves, and are very good for maintaining mental health. However, some trees can become safety hazards over time.
The best way to rein in hazardous trees is through professional cabling. Usually, a professional would have to inspect the property to determine which trees are hazardous, however, it is pretty commonsensical and you can do it as well. The most important thing is to notice the threat early enough to make a timely decision. The earlier you identify a problem, the easier it is for professionals to take care of it.
The Signs To Look Out For
It is important to be able to spot the signs of a tree being a safety hazard. Some of the most important signs to look out for are:
Broken or Hanging Branches
- For fully grown trees, broken or hanging branches can be quite a threat. This is because these branches are likely to fall off at any time and can hurt people or property. If this threat is ignored, it can be very dangerous in the case of a storm or windy weather. You might not always see the damage very clearly as cracks and wear can be in hidden places.
Dry or Cracking Bark
- Sometimes trees experience issues known as ‘Ingrown Bark’. This usually happens when two branches meet and form a V shape at their conjunction and not a U. This situation occurs if a tree has not been pruned properly. In the long run, the bark begins to dry out and gets weaker, and over time one of the two main branches may fall.
- Leaning trees are the most obvious tree hazard and you don’t need a professional to figure that out. When inspected, things such as the duration of incline, the degree of incline, and what it’s likely to fall on will be taken into consideration. Some trees lean naturally, but if the incline starts at the base of the trunk, it could be a problem.
Weakened Tree Trunk
- A weakened tree trunk is a sign of a potential safety hazard when the crown of the tree begins to get too heavy. Over time, the trunk starts to wear and can hollow out at times as well. This leads to the development of a poor structure. In the case of a storm or any other extreme weather, it can cause the trunk to break or give way.
Severe Root Damage
- One of the most common damages that trees sustain is to the roots. This is especially true in areas where there is a lot of construction. Clearing out the land for houses or other forms of buildings can cut off major roots of the tree. It can also free the soil that roots are holding on to. In cases like these, trees are not as stable or balanced.
Getting A Professional Opinion
It is always preferred that you get a professional opinion when you feel that a tree on your property may be a potential hazard. In case you find a tree on public property to be hazardous you can mention it to the city authorities.
At American Tree Experts, Inc. we offer the best services to keep your plants out of harm’s way. Our tree cabling and bracing services make sure that any hazardous trees are supported and reined in. Our most sought out services are pruning, bracing, pest management, and nutritional management. We offer services in Montclair, New Jersey. Call us at 973-744-6091 for a free quote.