Here are the answers to important questions asked about pruning trees
Plants need regular maintenance to grow healthy and strong. One of the ways to do this is to prune them. This is especially important for trees. However, not everyone knows the types of pruning, and those who do might not have the expertise required to do the job right.
What is Tree Pruning?
- Tree pruning is the task of removing dead branches from the tree to make sure nutrients are provided to growing branches or specific areas like fruits and flowers.
It makes the tree stronger, promotes better growth, and can help prevent a lot of issues. Like most treatments for trees, pruning has to be timed perfectly for maximum effect.
Things To Ask Yourself Before Tree Pruning
Some of the most important questions to ask yourself before you start pruning your tree are as follows:
Is this the right time?
- Pruning needs to be timed right. You need to be sure that you know the growth pattern of your plant and in which season it becomes dormant. The best time to prune is usually in the winters as the dead branches are easier to pick out. It also helps utilize the tree’s resources in the cold months. The worst time to prune would be in spring.
Why am I doing this?
- You need to have your motives set out in front of you. Knowing why you are pruning helps you target branches better and cut them off in an efficient manner. For example, if you are pruning your tree to lessen its weight and help it achieve height, you’d cut off heavy branches. If you are pruning for the winters, you would cut off dead branches.
Do I know how to make the right cut?
- Making the right cut is very important. This is because pruning is done to promote growth. The wrong cut might stunt growth and cause issues instead. Try investing in better equipment especially for pruning. The best method is the ‘three cut method’. You first cut to make sure the bark does not peel, then you cut off most of the branch and finally chop it off.
How much do I cut off?
- Knowing how much of the tree to cut off depends on your goal, the age of the tree, and the season you are pruning in. If your tree is fairly young you can cut about one-third of the crown during pruning. However, for older trees, it is advised to cut no more than 10%. Most of the cuttings should be made from the crown of the tree.
Do I know how fast my tree grows?
- Tree growth patterns majorly affect how much pruning a tree needs and at what time. Some trees grow faster than others, some can grow in cooler temperatures while others need warmer climates. If you pay attention to your tree’s growth patterns, you are unlikely to mess up the pruning process.
Although it can be done at home, hiring an expert doesn’t hurt either. Experts know exactly what your tree needs and can prune them in the most excellent way. If you are unsure about how to prune your trees, it is best to let someone who knows do it instead.
At American Tree Experts, Inc. we offer the best services to keep your plants out of harm’s way. Our tree pruning services ensure that the process promotes the growth of your tree. Our most sought out services are pruning, bracing, pest management, and nutritional management. We offer services in Montclair, New Jersey. Call us at 973-744-6091 for a free quote.