Here is a comprehensive explanation of why caring for your trees is critical
Trees don’t just look beautiful or bring shade. They can significantly increase your property’s value. Therefore, you must take proper and good care of them. Using the right fertilizer and trimming appropriately with the right tools can do a world of wonders for your trees.
In this article, we will look at selecting the right fertilizer and trimming tools for your trees.
Why Are Fertilizers and Trimmings Important For Trees?
- Trees should be regularly pruned and trimmed as this helps to stimulate growth, remove old and weak branches, and prevents the tree from catching pests and diseases. The best way is to contact a professional tree pruning service, as they have the necessary expertise at hand for your tree pruning needs.
Fertilizers are available as an all-natural compost-like material, as well as in the form of pellets that consist of key nutrients and minerals that trees need for growing and staying healthy. In most places, the soil is unlikely to be able to provide the trees with all the nutrients and minerals it requires. Therefore it is necessary to add the right fertilizer to your trees.
Using a fertilizer can have several advantages for your trees, such as:
- It boosts tree growth and ensures the branches are stronger and seem full of leaves.
- It promotes the growth of green and healthy leaves.
- It overcomes deficiencies in soil composition and texture, thus decreasing the chances of your tree dying due to inappropriate soil.
- It protects and helps the tree recover from infestations, pests, and diseases.
Important Things To Consider When Using A Fertilizer
- There are several different types of fertilizers available in the market. You must select one that has all the important macro-nutrients such as Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. NPK usually denotes this type of fertilizer.
The NPK ratio of your fertilizer should be 10 – 8 – 15, which means that it is composed of 10% nitrogen, 8% Phosphorus, and 15% Potassium. It is always a good idea to get the soil tested for its pH, as this information will help you understand the right amount of fertilizer to use.
What Is The Best Time To Use A Fertilizer?
- If you have evergreen trees, then the best time to use fertilizer is just before the start of the spring season. This will encourage your tree to grow during the spring season, especially when the weather is most conducive.
It is important to remember that using fertilizer in or after the summer season results in winter injury and dieback. Winter injury makes the tree susceptible to disease and increases the risk of the tree dying.
What Are The Best Trimming Tools To Own?
If you consider tree pruning and trimming a DIY job and are trained for it, then you must own the right trimming tools for your tree pruning projects. Using the right pruning methods can have several advantages for your trees. Mentioned below are some of the most popular and valuable tree-pruning tools that you can use.
- Pruning shears are one of the most versatile tools and can be used in various situations. In addition to using them on your trees, you can also use them to prune bushes and other plants.
They are also known as hand pruners. They are easy to carry, strong enough to cut most branches effortlessly, and have a very long life.
- If you want to cut through larger branches, you need to use a lopper. It has a sturdy blade, a long handle, and a smooth finish.
It can cut branches that are 2 inches thick. This tool is a bit heavier, so ensure you can handle it well without injuring yourself.
- If you have tall trees in your yard, you might consider using a pole pruner. This tool comes in various shapes and sizes, with some allowing you to prune branches as much as 15 feet in height.
Pole pruners are primarily used to remove dead branches before they fall, causing damage to life and property. They can also be used to give a particular shape to your trees by pruning off excessive branches. It is highly recommended that a pole pruner never be used alone. Instead, always have someone with you to help in case of an emergency.
We at American Tree Experts Inc. are one of the best tree pruning and tree nutrient management services, employing highly qualified arborists and experts. Call us today at 973-774-6091 and let our experts handle all your tree pruning and nutrient management needs.